I get asked a lot ‘how do you get that hazy summer look to images?’… Here’s how to without post processing:
1. Forget all the usual rules about the light facing your subject.
2. Check when the sun is rising or going down – and get yourself out around 40 mins before that time.
3. Place your subject between the sun rise / sunset and yourself, with the sun behind the subject.
4. Play around with your settings to achieve the type of haze you want – the above image was taken around 20 mins before sunset in Paris, with a shutter speed of 1/125, and f5.0 and no flash. You could use flash to achieve a more halo effect around the subject, or increase your ISO to create a bright ethereal effect.
5. Have fun breaking the rules! Shoot using the settings YOU like the results from 🙂